How we can help you

Whoever you are, whatever the problem, get in touch with Turriff & District CAB.

We use AdviserNet, our online information system, to provide you with accurate, up to date information and advice and this advice is delivered by a mixture of paid specialists and fully trained volunteer advisers.CAB advisers will not tell you what to do but we will explain your options and the possible outcomes of different courses of action.  We’ll encourage you to make your own decisions.

We can help you take action and in some cases, with your permission, we can act on your behalf.

Some of the General ways we can help you include:

  • We’ll talk to you, either face to face or by phone, to find out more about what you need help with.
  • If  you need help negotiating with someone – for example, appealing a benefits decision, establishing a payment plan with creditors, getting redress from a supplier for bad service, problems with an employer – we can do that. This might be by helping you to write a letter or by making phone calls.
  • We can help you fill in forms, for example to make a claim for benefits – PIP, ESA …
  • We can check that you’re receiving all the benefits you’re entitled to, and at the right levels by carrying out a full benefit check.
  • We can represent you in court and at tribunals.  (Note:  this is a very busy specialist service – we try and help as many people as we can but it’s not always possible to help everyone.)
  • If your situation is particularly complex or would benefit from specialist input, we’ll refer you to experts either within or beyond the Scottish CAB Service as appropriate. For example, within Turriff & District CAB we have specialist case workers who can help with:  challenging DWP decisions at tribunal; court representation involving eviction and repossession; employment tribunals; Trust Deeds, Debt Arrangement Scheme and sequestration.

Specialist services we can provide:

Turriff & District CAB also works with various funders to provide a diverse range of specialist advice services.  These services are usually targeted at people in common circumstances or addressing particular problems.

Specialist services currently offered by Turriff & District CAB are:

  • The Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP): advice and information for the Armed Forces Community,either serving or ex forces.
  • Outreach Advice Project: Delivering advice sessions to local outlying communities.
  • Debt Advice Project: Providing one to one advice on all personal debt related issues.
  • Welfare Rights Advice Project: Advice and representation up to and including tribunals for all social security benefits.
  • Kinship Caresupport for people who look after the child of a family member or close friend.
  • Money Advice Service:  help with managing your money better with support on issues such as starting or losing work (redundancy or retirement), having a baby, taking on a tenancy or mortgage and planning for the future.
  • Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS)advice, information and support for people wishing to give feedback or comments, raise concerns or make complaints about health care delivered by NHS Scotland.
  • In Court Advice: advice delivered in Sherriff Courts on legal matters such as eviction, repossession, debt, small claims, court attendance and representation

For help on any of these or other issues contact us now or visit the Citizens Advice adviceguide.